5 Easy Tricks For Luminous Fall Skin!
Posted: October 5th, 2017
Seasonal weather changes definitely affect our skin, but by following these skin tips and tweaking your skin care routine, you can keep your skin looking flawless and feeling its best!
- First things first—CLEANSERS. The first thing I like to do when revamping my skincare regimen from summer to fall is switching my cleanser. The summer months are perfect for a deep gel/foaming cleanser used morning and night - but when the temperatures cool down, they may become a bit drying as less oil is being produced. I like to use a gel/foaming cleanser for the morning and a lightweight cream cleanser at night. The gel deeply cleanses your pores, giving the cream cleanser the chance to thoroughly absorb into your skin, hydrating throughout the night.
- The next step is amping up that HYDRATION. If you aren’t already using a toner, now is the time to start. Toners are the perfect way to give your skin the hydration it so desperately needs when the temps drop. After cleansing, immediately mist your face with the toner just right for you (my favorite for all skin types is Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner). This will help to balance the pH of your skin along with driving hydration deep into your skin cells.
- Almost everyone’s skin is a bit more sensitive in the summertime from heat, pool chlorines, and sun, therefore exfoliation should be minimal. Come autumn, EXFOLIATION is imperative when it comes to brightening and rejuvenating your skin. Exfoliating is essential in reducing the unwanted breakouts, as it removes the dead skin cells that trap oil. Regular, routine exfoliation will help to lift skin discoloration (like sun spots and acne scaring), remove dull, dry skin, and encourages new skin cell regeneration. Exfoliating also leaves your skin with that naturally flawless finish even the best foundation can’t achieve!
- ALWAYS PROTECT. I know, I know, it’s fall! You don’t need SPF now, right? Wrong! A large amount of UV damage happens to our skin in autumn. We tend to think when temperatures drop the sun isn’t as harmful, but this is completely false. While UVB ray are not as strong in the fall, the UVA rays (those rays that cause skin cancer and premature wrinkles) are just as strong as they are in August. SPF protection year round is imperative! Be sure to apply a daily moisturizer or an SPF lotion perfect for your skin type. Summer months call for a lightweight moisturizer for most skin types but when the weather cools down, it is critical that you apply something heavier to prevent dehydration and loss of moisture.
- PREVENTION! Typically during the summer months you want to avoid the Vitamin A/Retinol products, but now is the time to reintroduce it to your routine. Opt for a non-prescription retinol serum, which will help reduce the appearance of sunspots, fine lines, and wrinkles. Retinol is hands down the most scientifically proven ingredient guaranteed to smooth the texture of the skin.
Just like the seasons, skin (our biggest organ!) is constantly changing and adapting to whatever we throw its way, whether internal or external. It’s important to always listen to your skin for signs that it’s not getting what it needs. Tightness, dryness, increased breakouts, and sensitivity are all signs that your current skincare routine isn’t working for you and a change is in order. Work with your body, not against it! When skin problems start to occur, you must make certain that you are using products that specifically address your skin’s needs and schedule a consultation with a trusted skin-care professional.